Saturday, August 7, 2010

Keep your whole wheat recipe from turning out bitter

I now think whole wheat flour is delightful, but that wasn't always the case. Early attempts at whole wheat baking yielded bitter goods (and a slightly bitter me). The trick to whole wheat flour is to keep it out of the heat and not let it sit around the house for too long; otherwise it develops a strong bitter flavor. King Arthur Flour recommends only keeping whole wheat flour for two months, storing it in the freezer, and pulling out the amount you need the night before and placing in the refrigerator. I used to keep all my flours in canisters on the counter, but this very hot summer turned my whole wheat flour bitter quite quickly. So now all my flours go in the freezer. But, I don't pull the flour out the night before. I just pull it straight out of the freezer and put it right in the recipe. This seems to work well and is a good compromise for a girl on the go. Happy whole wheat baking!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...